A week or so ago, I got a bee in my bonnet that I wanted to make a quilt to commemorate the Commonwealth Games, which began in Scotland last week. The Opening Ceremony was on the 23rd.
The official Australian colours are green and gold. I also wanted to make a yellow quilt as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so this seemed to fit the bill for both. I first blogged about it here. I decided to do a Disappearing Nine Patch and to make the quilt for Aussie Heroes.
I chopped fabric like a mad woman and had the 9-patches made in no time.
Last Saturday, I dissected the 9 patches, but then life got in the way. Frustrating isn't it? You absolutely need to sew, but you have to do one thing after another and days pass before you get to the machine.
This afternoon, after lunch, I began to lay out the squares. And this is what it looked like. Very excited! Looked better that I had hoped.
By 6.15pm when I left off to put dinner on, it was done! I have called this quilt "Go for Gold". Debating whether to put a narrow green border on this, but I don't think I can. Aussie Hero quilts have to be a maximum of 42" wide (to fit on the bunks, without loads of overhang) and this quilt is almost that already.
I reckon this was the fastest quilt I have ever put together. Six days from cutting the first block to finishing the top. There's going to be a bit of a delay now though, as I'm going to buy some wadding from the Stitching Hearts supply, and I won't get it for a couple of weeks. I'm using that, because it is a light weight cotton and will be less costly to post.
The second project I got going this month were some little Christmas decorations. I am using a pattern by Michelle Ridgeway who blogs here. I just love her designs. This one is called Christmas Hearts, and it can be purchased from Michelle's blog. Aren't they sweet?
I am planning to do a workshop with this pattern (with Michelle's permission) at the craft morning run at my local church, and these will be the samples.
My attempts at this are a lesson in Read the Pattern First. LOL.
I was in such a hurry to prep this so that I could work on it, that I launched straight in and drew up these little stitcheries. Then, and only then, I read the instructions, and realised that I was meant to use a light weight iron on stabiliser. But I had used a Frixion pen to draw up the designs, so ironing the stabiliser on would erase the design & I would have to redraw it. So I have used regular stabiliser, which adds a little complexity to the stitching!
I decided to do redwork on the first two stitcheries, and these are now complete. The third one I thought should have a green branch, and I am planning to do the star in gold metallic thread. I have some of that & never seem to use it, so now is the opportunity. I am undecided if I will do the fourth one as redwork or with different colours. I think the tree is whispering "make me green".
Why not head over to Cat Patches and see what other people have been up to this month.
Next month I have a project planned which will be a Christmas gift. I can't show you anything because I know that the person for whom I am making it reads my blog. So you will have to wait until Christmas to see what I have made.
I don't know if you read the Red Brolly blog, but Bronwyn put up a good post the other day about how to store quilts. If you are interested, the link is here. Just in case you are wondering, I have broken every one of those tips, and multiple times! LOL. And her post tonight here, is all about how to laminate fabric.
Also. Jan at Sew and Sow Farm has a brilliant give away going at the moment. Well worth the effort of a visit here.
So that is me for now.
Til next time.....Keep on stitching