Sunday, 27 July 2014

Almost the Last of the Reds

Today is the last Sunday in July (where did this year go??), and so its time to show you what I have created in red this week.

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you will have noticed that I have been making a quilt in the colour of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  So far I have made purple, green, blue, and pink, and I am working on yellow.  Teal is never going to happen as I haven't anything like enough teal fabric to make a whole quilt.  Orange will be a problem too.

So today I want to show you my red offering - "Morning Glory", which I started several months ago.  I actually completed all the applique at least 6 weeks ago, but haven't shown you because I was waiting for the RSC Red month, which ended up being July.  This is another quilt using the 6" squares which the fabulous Jackie (who blogs here) sent me early this year.

 
So why "Morning Glory"?  Well, my first thought was "Red, Red, Wine" (remember that song?)  but then I thought I should call it a name referring to red roses, but when I sat down to put this together, I realised that there were a lot of pink squares and flowers, and some of the reds were rather purple too.  The vine, Morning Glory, has some truly lovely shades of pink/red flowers, so that is what I have decided to call it.  Shame that around these parts, Morning Glory is a noxious weed!
 
Here is a photo I found on the web (and there are heaps more if you care to look).

Morning Glory HD photography wallpaper 5 Wallpapers
[photo purloined from here]

I have been working on this at Friday Quilters for the last couple of weeks and got it finished on Friday afternoon.  It still needs some borders.

This afternoon I finished up the last of my 8 Road to Oklahoma blocks.

 
When I started playing with the red scraps, I thought I didn't have enough contrast, but surprisingly, there is.  All done and I am happy with them.  I still need to make 2 Jacobs Ladder blocks to keep up with my planned RSC blocks.  Hopefully I will get them done before the end of July.
 
I am linking up with the others at soscrappy (very late!)
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

7 comments:

  1. The Road to Oklahoma looks great, but the Morning Glories are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dasha how good does your quilt top look and love your blocks,well done.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your Morning Glory quilt. It makes me want to do some appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Morning Glory quilt. Where has the month gone. Only just finished all my blocks and didn't realise it was the last weekend. My head is still in the middle of the month I think xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your red Road blocks beat the rest. From a few scraps you've got a beautiful colour range.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good, haha I am always late to link up too! Oh well, better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your red blocks. I'm always late checking the link ups, so no problem.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog