In between the hours I have spent at the hospital and the whole day I lost with the power outage, managed a few snatched times at the sewing machine. First up, I have completed the last border on Blue Nines.
I made a scrappy inner border from 3" squares. Together with the 2.5" squares I used for the four patches and the alternate 6" blocks, I have used rather a lot of squares. But it doesn't seem to have made much of a dent on those baggies! To make matters worse, I cut up a whole lot more scraps on Wednesday while the power was out (see here). Guess that's the name of the game. LOL.
Next cab off the rank, I pieced 3 separate backings from fabrics in my charity donation cupboard. I get given so much that not all of it finds its' way to Cabarita. Apart from anything else, there is so much down there that we have storage problems. Anyway, I decided to relieve some of my cupboard space, and got 3 pieced.
This afternoon I set to and put the framing border on Green Beans Please. I dithered for so long about that - couldn't make up my mind on the purple or green, and if green, which of the two greens I had. Today I bit the bullet and cut into the purple. So pleased I did!
The last time I was in Cabarita, I found a few pieces of green plaid in the green box, and then the following week, Jan-Maree (Aussie Hero Quilts) gave me a few more when I was at the sewing day. I now have a little selection and have planned a scrappy plaid border using "bricks" of colour. I cut most of it this afternoon before coming up to write this post.
Not much red got done this week. LOL.
I am now officially "over" those applique flowers! My next quilt is going to be a yellow and green Disappearing Nine Patch in honour of the Commonwealth Games which start in Glasgow on the 23rd July. Australia's official colours are green and gold, and as I haven't made a yellow quilt to go with the RSC colour of the month for June, I decided that was apt. Besides it might use up some of those green 6" squares I cut up the other day - there were heaps of them.
In trawling through my photos, I realised that I haven't shown you the last two blocks I have made for the Civil War BOM. Even though it is a few weeks since I made them.
This one is the one for April - Block 3, New Garden Star.
I foundation pieced the star points. The rest was just ordinary blocks. It was quite tricky getting those stripes to line up with the point, and I didn't quite achieve it on a couple of the points, despite foundation piecing. I love this block.
And this one is the block for May - Block 4, Canada Star.
I introduced a bit of blue into the equation. Hope I don't regret that later. Despite having made those, I am still behind with June and July's blocks to do. There will be another one in a week or so.
I have also been working on the corner pieces for my Lets Book It project in the evenings, and have almost finished the fourth corner. Yay! That's what I will be doing tonight if I can keep the eyes open. It will be good to sew those corners on and make some real progress on that.
I will link this up to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts later tonight when the link goes up.
Next week is a quieter week thankfully, and hopefully I will get a bit of quiet time down in my workroom.
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.